Heating and Cooling Limited Energy Use Guarantee
Builders of homes that achieve the highest tier of RNC Program rebates (HERO+HERS) are eligible to offer the Limited Guarantee to their homeowners.
What is the Limited Energy Use Guarantee?
Your home is guaranteed not to exceed the maximum annual heating and cooling energy usage amount, as verified by a certified HERS Rater using energy-modeling software. Projected heating and cooling usage is detailed on the home’s HERS Certificate and your home should not exceed the average shown on the Certificate. If the homeowner pays more for heating and cooling than their HERS Certificate indicates the program will pay the difference to the homeowner.
Who is Eligible?
The Limited Energy Use Guarantee is available to homes that receive HERO + HERS ($/kWh) rebates. Participating builders who opt in during application process will qualify to participate (Don't remember if you opted in? Contact us at DERNC@icfprogram.com to confirm). Guarantee is effective for up to three years past settlement date.
How to File a Claim
Submit any claims in writing to:
Duke Energy RNC Program
P.O. Box 13015
Raleigh, NC 27605
Any claim must be submitted within 30 days of the end of the guarantee period. For example, a claim for the first year of the Limited Guarantee must be submitted within 30 days after the first anniversary of the settlement date. Include copies of your monthly utility statements for the applicable period and provide proof (a copy of the invoice) of the HVAC system maintenance and/or service work for your claim.
To take advantage of the program’s benefits, homeowners need to meet the following responsibilities:
- Open windows and doors only when needed.
- Follow HVAC manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set your thermostat at no higher than 72 degrees Fahrenheit during the heating season and no lower than 75 degrees Fahrenheit during the cooling season.
- Notify us of any changes to your home including your HVAC system or the number of occupants after the settlement date.
- Allow ICF (program implementer) and your builder to access your home, upon reasonable notice, to inspect, monitor and make changes necessary to ensure that your energy use for heating and cooling meets the values set forth in the Limited Guarantee.
- See Energy Guarantee Flyer and Fine Print for additional information and requirements.